Many different formats and approaches to building
online employee exit interviews exist. The general approach is to
- An introduction
- Identification of position and other relevant
- Evaluation of corporate climate
- Evaluation of job environment
- Evaluation of sensitive issues such as bias,
harassment, abuse, discrimination
- Evaluation of reasons for leaving
- Feedback to improve the work environment
- Feedback to improve the department and/or company
- Thanks and appreciation for contribution
A short form employee exit interview questionnaire
might include the following:
- Why did you join this
- What were your best experiences here?
- What were your worst experiences here?
- What would make you return to our company?
- What message would you give to management upon
- If a friend asked you, would you recommend
that they take a job here?
- If you could change anything about how the
company operates, what would it be?
Below is a list of commonly asked employee exit
Employee Exit Interview Questions: Job History
and Overall Evaluation
- What factors led you to accept a job
with our company?
- How has your perception of those factors
changed during the time youve been here?
- What is your primary reason for leaving?
- What triggered your decision to leave?
- Did your job duties turn out to be as
- What was most satisfying about your job?
- What was least satisfying about your
- What would you change about your job?
Employee Exit Interview Questions: Job Feedback,
Training, Reviews, Support and Career Goals
- Was the training you
received sufficient to enable you to meet our performance expectations?
- What additional training should have been provided
- Did you receive adequate support to do your
- Did you receive sufficient feedback about your
performance between evaluation reviews?
- Were you satisfied with this company's merit
- Did this company help you to fulfill your career
Employee Exit Interview Questions: Job Improvements,
Feedback and Suggestions
- How do you feel about
the way our company is run?
- How would you rate the morale in your department?
- Were you happy with your pay, benefits and
- What part did pay or benefits play in your
decision to leave?
- How did you view your chances for advancement?
- What would you improve to make your workplace
- How would you evaluate the quality of the supervision
- What could your immediate supervisor do to
improve his or her management style?
- Based on your experience with us, what do you
think it takes to succeed at this company?
- Did any company policies or procedures (or
any other obstacles) make your job more difficult?
- Would you consider working for this company
again at some time in the future?
- Would you recommend working for this company
to your family and friends?
- How do you generally feel about this company?
Very Satisfied --- Dissatisfied
- What did you like most about this company?
- What did you like least about this company?
- If you could change anything about how our
company operates, what would it be?
Employee Exit Interview Questions: Employee
Retention, Comments and Suggestions
- How is your new job/company
different from this one?
- What motivated you to begin looking for another
- What made you consider an offer from another
- Before deciding to leave, did you investigate
a transfer within the company?
- Could this company have done anything to encourage
you to stay?
- What does your new company offer that this
company doesn't? (If leaving for another job)
- Did anyone in this company discriminate against
you, harass you or cause hostile working conditions?
- If the employee reports harassment, get very
specific details and examples
- What other comments of information would you
like to share?
- Do you have any suggestions of who we might
hire or where we might find your replacement?
Other employee exit interview questions
- Special demands of the job
- Skills required by the job
- Experience gained or needed in the job
- Educational opportunities on the job
- Travel requirements
- Hours required
- Working environment issues
- Special problems or challenges in job
- Duties that you were not able to be complete
- Long term objectives associated with
- Management style appropriate to the job
or employee environment
- Budget or resources for job completion
- Compensation and advancement associated
with the job
- Common challenges faced by other employees
in similar jobs
- Tips to provide to future employees in
this job position
- Other reasons or areas where you believe
had trouble performing or poor performance
- Company measures of successful performance
- Company or supervisor acknowledgement
of excellent performance
- Recognition and communication of department
or job goals
- Employee training
- Impact of poor performance on the company
- Significant changes on the horizon
- Education policy
- Work-life balance
- Service policy
Trial an Australian-built
exit interview survey tool:
PeoplePulse is an Australian built online feedback
and survey tool used extensively by Australian and New Zealand based
organisations to discover the real drivers and motivations of your
workforce. The tool can also be used by HR to conduct cost effective
exit interview surveys, staff climate surveys, training needs analysis
surveys, and 'new starter' feedback surveys to name a few popular
complete the form below to arrange your FREE custom-branded
exit interview demonstration and a PeoplePulse pricing and
the form below, a PeoplePulse representative will contact
you to discuss your needs and current situation. From there
we will set up your demo and arrange a suitable time to show
the system to you:
Please be assured that your correspondence
with us is confidential. We will not divulge email addresses or
any other details you provide to outside sources.
above demonstration request form was powered by PeoplePulse.